Herb marinated macadamia feta cheese
While it may not be as velvety as a traditional dairy feta, this macadamia version is a deliciously creamy treat that’s guaranteed to please. This recipe makes enough to fill a 300ml jar.
For the feta
- 1 ½ cups macadamias
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the marinating oil
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 to 1 ½ cups macadamia oil
- Place the macadamias and water in the jug of a high-speed blender and blend for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the mixture in a nut bag and squeeze out the excess moisture. Note: you can keep this liquid and use it in a recipe requiring macadamia milk.
- Place the macadamia mixture in a food processor with the remaining feta ingredients and blend thoroughly until the mixture is combined.
- Carefully add more salt or lemon juice, a little at a time to taste, being careful not to add too much.
- Line a colander or sieve with cheesecloth and place the mixture in it.
- Pat the mixture into a small slab that is 2-3cm thick and fold the muslin over to enclose.
- Place in the fridge for at least 12 hours to set.
- Remove from the muslin and cut into 2 x 3cm rectangular pieces.Gently place the pieces in a jar, alternating with the peppercorns, thyme and bay leaves.
- Pour over the oil to cover, place a lid on the jar and keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
Add the recipe ingredients to your cart and get cooking.