Jump to recipe
Macadamia brioche buns
Buttery, sweet and generously filled with macadamias, these beautiful buns are a little bit sophisticated. Enjoy them for breakfast, morning or afternoon tea, and even warmed up the next day. Yum!
1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 45 minutes
- 17g sachet dried yeast
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 200g plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 40g butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 egg (extra), lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon raw caster sugar
- ½ cup macadamias, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Stir together the yeast, 1 tablespoon of lukewarm water and half the flour in a bowl and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour, salt, egg and remaining water and use a knife to combine the mixture until a dough forms. Place the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute to combine the dough to form a ball.
- Flatten the dough and dot the butter on top. Fold the dough over the butter and return to the bowl to knead for 3-4 minutes, until the butter is fully incorporated.
- Cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, continue to knead the dough for another 3-4 minutes, then place back in the bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Generously grease a 23cm square or round tin.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a lightly floured surface. Knock the dough down to flatten it and form a 25 x 20cm rectangle.
- Brush with the lightly beaten egg and then sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar and chopped macadamia nuts. Gently press the nut mixture down into the dough.
- Roll the dough to form a 25cm long sausage shape and then cut into 8-10 pieces about 2-3 cm thick.
- Nestle the slices, cut side up, into the prepared tin, cover and stand in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Place the buns in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden. Brush with melted butter to serve.
PICK YOUR MACADAMIA STYLE
Choose natural macadamia kernel to add your Brioche or spice it up with a seasoned ingredient.